Friday, August 1, 2008

Welcome!

Hi there!

I’m Kerry, a stay-at-home, home educating mom to 3 kids ages 6, 8 and 12 in the suburbs of Charlotte, NC. Hubby and I have always been pretty healthy eaters - since childhood really. We both grew up in families where eating healthy food was important. In a lot of ways we’ve always been pretty “crunchy”, although, not adamantly so.

About a year ago, our family began eating “seasonally” as a stepping stone to eating locally. Now, I don’t think we’ll ever be able to pull off the “One Local Year” challenge, but I figure any little bit I can do is worth it. And honestly, I’m too lazy to to be overzealous about it (my hubby calls me a “slackitarian”). But, I’m going to do what I can and, shoot, let’s do it together!

So, are you a seasonal eater, locavore, home gardener, or organic eater? Or are you interested in learning more about that together? What made you stop by the blog and what types of things would you like to see here? Let’s get the conversation started!

4 comments:

Spinneretta said...

I know exactly what you mean. I too started trying to eat locally- or at the very least seasonally about this time last year. I had read a series of local eating books that inspired me ;)
So far, I do pretty well (including feeling guilty if I buy something like bananas LOL).
I made some tomato soup this week with fresh homegrown tomatoes :) And basil too... delicious :)
I'm enjoying your blog so far :D

Ranee @ Arabian Knits said...

We eat as locally as we can. We live in a semi-rural fishing village. We buy fish from local fishermen, we buy or barter for local produce, we get raw milk from a local farmer, we raise a little of our own vegetables, berries and herbs, a few fruit and nut trees, and we glean berries, crabapples, apples, pears and plums. We'd like to build a real orchard, as well as expanding our vegetable/herb/berry/melon patches. A greenhouse is in the works, or so says my husband.

We raise chickens and ducks mostly for eggs, we've eaten several of the chickens, though, and we have two honeybee hives for honey. Eventually, we'd like to work up to raising most of our own food.

We buy natural and organic as much as we can (and can afford), as well as patronizing a local butcher who raises amazing meat. Food is a big deal at our home. :)

Kerry said...

Hi Spinneretta! Good to see you here! I also feel guilty sometimes about a very non-local or out-of-season purchase, but I figure that is kind of like getting a rare treat from a passing merchant in "old times", so that's ok. :)

Ranee - wow! you are very blessed to have such resources at your fingertips. Living in suburbia has serious limitations, but I'm not using that as an excuse and that is why I'm blogging about this. I want to encourage others who might not have such great local resources to do the best they can! thanks for stopping by! Please comment anytime with advice you might have- I NEED it!

Laura said...

Well, you may have just found yourself another reader! I am doing my darnest to keep our meals and seasonal as possible and will eagerly read of all your adventures!