I saw a sign on one of the farmer's tables today that said they'd have tomatoes until OCTOBER 31!!! Wow, that makes me happy. Of course, that is precluding bad weather or an early frost. But here in the piedmont of North Carlina, that is unlikely.
Our Farmer's Market goes until November and possibly longer depending on the farmers. I've noticed the past week that the organizers of the market are really pushing that fact. Last year, I was not a confirmed farmer's marketeer, so I missed out on the late harvest. I am looking forward to it this year!
How long does your market last?
So, what found this week -
- I was hoping to pick up some cataloupes, but there were none to be found. Still watermelons, but I decided against one.
- Picked up some Bosky Acres goat cheese - my hubby will LOVE this. And I think I'm going to try it with our figs (from our side yard fig tree) and some balsamic.
- Tomatoes are still coming in strong, so I grabbed a nice selection - a Pink Lady and some Mecklenburgs.
- Eggplant is looked lovely, so I grabbed a couple of those. Next week I'm going to try the "Violetta"- it's that pretty pale purple striped variety. The farmer told me it is a bit sweeter than regular eggplant. Sounds promising!
- But NO EGGS. Oh I was so disappointed! My egg lady wasn't there this week. I even had finally gathered up some egg cartons to return to her and she wasn't there. Hopefully next week.
- The "Peach Guys" are still bringing in loads of peaches, so I grabbed a bag. These guys make me laugh - definitely lovely South Carolina gentlemen. Most of the farmers come in their grungies, but these two look like they just stepped off the golf course.
- And my favorite PITA!
Want to share what you found at your farmer's market? Use the Mr Linky below, but please read the guidelines first. Be sure to link back to this page, mention the Farmer's Market Report in your post, and link to your post page (not your homepage).
Did you enjoy this post? Subscribe via email or RSS.