Saturday, August 23, 2008

The Farmer's Market Report - August 23rd



I saw a sign on one of the farmer's tables today that said they'd have tomatoes until OCTOBER 31!!! Wow, that makes me happy. Of course, that is precluding bad weather or an early frost. But here in the piedmont of North Carlina, that is unlikely.

Our Farmer's Market goes until November and possibly longer depending on the farmers. I've noticed the past week that the organizers of the market are really pushing that fact. Last year, I was not a confirmed farmer's marketeer, so I missed out on the late harvest. I am looking forward to it this year!

How long does your market last?

So, what found this week -


  • I was hoping to pick up some cataloupes, but there were none to be found. Still watermelons, but I decided against one.

  • Picked up some Bosky Acres goat cheese - my hubby will LOVE this. And I think I'm going to try it with our figs (from our side yard fig tree) and some balsamic.

  • Tomatoes are still coming in strong, so I grabbed a nice selection - a Pink Lady and some Mecklenburgs.

  • Eggplant is looked lovely, so I grabbed a couple of those. Next week I'm going to try the "Violetta"- it's that pretty pale purple striped variety. The farmer told me it is a bit sweeter than regular eggplant. Sounds promising!

  • But NO EGGS. Oh I was so disappointed! My egg lady wasn't there this week. I even had finally gathered up some egg cartons to return to her and she wasn't there. Hopefully next week.

  • The "Peach Guys" are still bringing in loads of peaches, so I grabbed a bag. These guys make me laugh - definitely lovely South Carolina gentlemen. Most of the farmers come in their grungies, but these two look like they just stepped off the golf course.
  • And my favorite PITA!

Want to share what you found at your farmer's market? Use the Mr Linky below, but please read the guidelines first. Be sure to link back to this page, mention the Farmer's Market Report in your post, and link to your post page (not your homepage).

Did you enjoy this post? Subscribe via email or RSS.

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for including me in this, Kerry! This week, I visited two farmers markets and was able to put together a really (I mean, really) great meal of Crab Cakes with corn salsa.

Kerry said...

You bet, Tiffany! Crab Cakes...oh, my that just sounds so good. I bet you had some awesome fresh crab, didn't you? I'll be over to check that out!

shannonmarie said...

Thanks again Kerry. It's nice to be invited back. You should try the granita recipes I refer to in my post.

Anonymous said...

Thanks Kerry! I went ahead and submitted my post! I'll be checking back for more of your farmer's market experiences. :)

Cynthia said...

Hi, Kerry. Thanks for the invite! I try to eat local and well and inexpensively -- not always easy to accomplish.

Sarah said...

Thanks for letting me know about your Farmer's Market Report! I linked to my two most recent posts about it, because I bought more of a variety on my previous visit.

Sue said...

I'm not sure how long our farmer's market goes. You would think they could be year round here in CA. But I think they shut down in Oct.

I love to go Sat. and Wed. to get all organic, fresh fruit and veggies. I feel so healthy when I do!

Lisa said...

Kerry, I'm pretty sure that ours goes until the first Thursday in October, though our local Slow Food group is trying to get it to go all year long, with only a monthly or bi-monthly market during winter.

I am also going to post a recipe for Midi Poche today hopefully, or tomorrow.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for visiting my blog and allow me to link. I love going to the farmers' market every week. This week we got gooseberries for the first time and my 19 month old daughter loves them. I never would have bought them but the farmer was able to tell me so much about the berries and let us try them.

Marie said...

The more we learn about what happens to our "food" before it hits the aisles of stores, the more we need farmers' markets...

hmd said...

My farmers market update just went up today. It seems like it shrinks every week now that we've passed our growing peak. But there are still many goodies to be had!

Anonymous said...

Thanks Kerry, nice blog. I keep tabs on the Ferry Plaza Farmers' Market in San Francisco. I also review nutrition research and post seasonal recipes.