Tuesday, August 5, 2008

Cinnamon Raisin Bread - in the breadmaker

My kids love cinnamon raisin bread, but I've had trouble finding one that isn't expensive or is as healthy as I'd like it. So, I decided it was time to find a good recipe to make at home. The past few weeks, I've been trying different cinnamon raisin breads looking for just the right one. And I found this one yesterday....it is FANTASTIC!

It makes a very large loaf - touched the top of my 2lb breadmaker! And the taste and texture was just what I was looking for...very cinnamony, chewy, but not heavy. If you love cinnamon raisin bread, give this one adapted from Recipezaar.com a try!


Cinnamon Raisin Bread
1 tablespoon oil
1 1/4 cups warm water, plus
1 tablespoon warm water
1/4 cup honey
1/4 cup maple syrup (or maple-flavored syrup, if you must)
1 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 teaspoons cinnamon
1 cup oatmeal
1 cup whole wheat flour
2 cups bread flour, plus
2 tablespoons bread flour
2 1/4 teaspoons active dry yeast

**1/2-3/4 cup raisins (add these towards the end of the kneading cycle - if your maker has an "add fruit and nuts" indicator use it)

1 - Place the ingredients in the order given.
2 - Make a small well in flour and pour in yeast.
3 - Bake on 2 lb basic cycle.
4 - Add raisins at proper time for your maker

Some of the reviews on Recipezaar.com indicated that the dough was a bit sticky, but came out fine. Mine wasn't at all like that, but I think it is due to the whole wheat flour (the original did not use whole wheat). Just be warned if you use all white flour, your dough might look a little stickier than usual.

Did you enjoy this post? Subscribe via email or RSS.

3 comments:

Spinneretta said...

OOOh yummers... I think I will try this one :)

Kerry said...

Oh, good! It REALLY is an excellent recipe! Let me know what you think.

TwoSquareMeals said...

I can't wait to try it!