Monday, August 4, 2008

Weekly Menu: August 4th-8th


Each week, Laura, at I'm an Organizing Junkie blog hosts a wonderful "carnival" of weekly menus called Menu Plan Monday. What a great resource for ideas!

If you are here via Laura's blog, Welcome! This blog is devoted to conversations about seasonal and sustainable food. Each week, my menus will include recipes and ideas for cooking with what is in season and probably can be found locally, too. Interested? Be sure to subscribe by email or RSS so you won't miss a thing!

Lots of lovely things in season right now! This week we are enjoying: spinach, cucumbers, bell peppers, zucchini, watermelon, peaches, blackberries, tomatoes, corn, and fresh herbs.

Here's what we are eating (the bolded items are recipes that will be posted seperately, be sure to check back as I get them online.):

Sunday: Rosemary and Lemon Baked Chicken, watermelon, corn on the cob (this is a Sunday favorite. We trim off the meat, make broth with the rest of the bird, add vegetables and noodles to make chicken noodle soup for lunches.)

Monday: Green salad with diced chicken (and homemade croutons), watermelon, Cucumbers with Yogurt and Mint, corn bread. Dessert tonight is a Whole Wheat Blackberry Kuchen (adapted from one of my favorite cookbooks, Simply In Season).

Tuesday: Summer Garden Ratatouille, Italian-style chicken sausage, corn bread

Wednesday: Gnocchi with Classic Tomato Sauce, a side of steamed spinach (with malt vinegar)

Thursday: Clean out the FRIDGE Night.

Friday: CHINESE FEAST night - to celebrate the opening of the Beijing Olympics: Chinese Dumplings (frozen from Costco - really good!), Longevity Noodles, Stir-Fry vegetables (whatever we have on hand at that point - bok choy, edamame, broccoli, etc), crystallized ginger over vanilla ice cream and/or fortune cookies (not really a Chinese dish, but can we eat Chinese without them?!?)

Saturday: TBD - I'll be completely on my own (hubby and kids taking a quick trip to the beach), so I'm not sure what delightful dish I'll whip up that night. It sounds like I'll have plenty of leftovers from all this food, so I suppose I can always just munch on those!

Did you enjoy this post? Subscribe via email or RSS.

2 comments:

joanna said...

Hi Kerry - I found your blog via menu planning and I had to tell you that it's really great! I'm sure I'll be a frequent visitor. Plus, I've been looking for a good tomato sauce recipe, I'll have to try yours!

Kerry said...

Joanna -

Thanks! And thank you for the link.